Saturday, February 13, 2010

bah dump - bah dump

(almost two weeks of no posting? time for a long one! :) WITH pictures!!)

speed.

news.bbc.co.uk


So, why does my heart all of a sudden start sprinting when watching short-track speed skating?

Well, I don't know why,

but I do know that I am an adrenaline/speed junkie - particularly when I'm watching sports.


I almost hated cross country and only liked doing high jump in track,
but I
LOVED watching the 100 and the relays.

I cannot skate much faster than the pace of a lethargic snail,
but my eyes are
GLUED to shifting and swaying of those speeding skates.

I've never skied in my life,
but I know I will be
STUNNED with the velocity of the downhill and slalom competitions.


Back in college,
I got a fair share of crap
for being Minnesotan and
not being able to ski or skate.

I told everyone that there's 10,000 lakes:
I swim.
Yet I always wondered:
why can't I skate?

The ski question is simple: basketball.
No way was I going to risk a janked-up injury and sacrifice my favorite sport for a year or more.

Skating though?
I'm sure there has been only a handful of
more pathetic sights than my skating abilities.
What's my problem?
Hmm...


Bob Costas & Pals seem to have answered my question.
The Dutch are enthused in the same way as speed skating the way we are with football, baseball, and NASCAR*...



thestar.blogs.com

WWW.PBASE.COM

www.rnw.nl

... maybe combined. In the 5k event, the announcers said anything less than gold would be a fail for the dutch skater. I don't remember his name, but I do know he passed. So I thought, you know what? There isn't an ounce of Dutch in me, therefore, I just don't have the genes to skate. That, or I just have the genes to have incredibly flimsy ankles.


On a completely unrelated note, here's an awesome website for all you foodies out there + anyone who just likes looking at pretty pictures of tasty treats: www.tastespotting.com

I think I'll make me some of these:




Well, a less complicated, maybe more healthy version. :)


*NASCAR is the most popular US sport. Don't know if that was super-common knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! click the "subscribe by e-mail" link to see follow-up replies to your awesome comments. You'll love it!