Monday, March 15, 2010

This might not be righteous anger...but maybe.

It makes me 

irate

Irate

I-RATE

when I see or hear of something being done

to someone who is either
powerless
or
unprepared  
    to prevent it. 


oh, OH so IRATE.


Please, God, make me so aware

that if I ever feel tempted
to make fun of
or demean
or intentionally puff myself up over
or again fail to stand up for
those who are significantly less privileged that I am,

particularly those who are
foreign to this country and are earnestly,
         truly earnestly trying to make good for their loved ones...*
or those who have no ability to live independently
         and are completely reliant on others for a safe, functional life,

You would so bluntly deliver me such an
incredible and unmistakable
kick in the pants**,
that I'd be forever humbled and irreversibly changed in my ways.

Thanks, both in advance and in retrospect.***


* Who in this country HASN'T come, in some way, from this background?!
I am not a proponent of illegal immigration, but I see it as incredibly honorable to sacrifice life and limb to try to work for the good of one's family. 

** I'd use another word here if honorable to God,
considering this is how strong I feel about it.

*** After actually reading this post I just wrote, it's a little scary to ask for such a thing from God.  He delivered on my request for my husband ("God, please don't let me date anyone again until it's my husband," circa 2004).  A grace-filled kick in the pants would be preferred, although grace-filled is not never deserved.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand... and have very strong feelings on that particular subject as well.

    A dangerous prayer I find myself praying is "Lord, make me grateful." Since I've started praying this, it seems like the Lord has been constantly stripping back layers of "stuff" that I cling to in life... relationships, financial security, control of my "timeline", control of, well, really anything.

    But you and I can both take heart that David and Jesus and Paul all prayed very "dangerous" prayers. And the LORD used all three of them in mighty mighty ways.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! click the "subscribe by e-mail" link to see follow-up replies to your awesome comments. You'll love it!