Saturday, July 2, 2011

Prayers for my Dad

****I sent this message to some of you recently, but I think it'd be good to put this on here so more people can know and possibly be helped by our family's experience in the future.  Also, it gives a little information to those who have seen this news via other members of my family. 


I know this isn't the best way to go about sharing this news, but I want to let people know what's up with my father, especially those who have either been a big part of John's and my life, those who primarily know me and have gotten to know about my dad's situation for a very long time, or a combination of both. 




For many, many years - well more than anyone in my family or my father's medical team could have predicted - my dad has been fighting stage 3 brain cancer. After three surgeries, four or five series of chemo, and lots and lots of meds for his seizures and nearly any other kind of symptom he could possibly have, the cancer has finally started to progress at a significant rate.



We found out on June 8th that the tumor growth has crossed into the other part of my dad's brain. This past Monday, my dad was hospitalized for a blood clot that was brought on by the brain cancer - something neither we nor my father's neurologist could have predicted without the help of an otherwise unnecessary vascular physician. The clot spans the length of his leg and is particularly bad around the back of his knee. We're thankful the doctors were able to find this, and we hope that the clot can be controlled.



Many times in the past, I have asked people for prayers for my dad. I've asked for prayer that he'd make it through a surgery, that he'd get through yet another session of chemo, that he'd be relieved of his seizures. Now, I am asking for prayers for his faith in Christ. It's not common that a person and their loved ones get a "warning sign" for when their life is about to come to an end. I pray that, with this warning sign, my dad will find hope and peace in Christ's salvation, and have the saving knowledge of God's grace. If you feel so lead, please pray with me that these things come to fruition and that my dad has a peaceful exit out of this world and into the arms of God when that time comes.  

As a side note, we have no idea how soon the end will be.  Medical timelines have lost any sense of credibility when it has come to my dad's journey with this disease. 



Finally, I'm sorry that this message is going out to people electronically instead of from me verbally. While the last couple days have been a lot better for me emotionally, it's become really difficult knowing what to say and then having to say these things over and over again. Also, if I haven't talked to you on the phone in the last 7 months, I don't currently have your number in my new phone. Yes, I still haven't transferred my numbers, and yes, I have finally misplaced my old phone. I haven't lost it yet, however...that's to be determined. Let's just say it wasn't a good idea to try to use my old phone as a separate contact list.



Thank you for your prayers and support over the months/years/decades. I really appreciate it! If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask.   I hope that sharing this experience can be a blessing to someone in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! click the "subscribe by e-mail" link to see follow-up replies to your awesome comments. You'll love it!